- First Name
- Last Name
- CA California
- King's College London; Wildwood School
- Website URL
- pirates, piracy, golden age of piracy, pirates of the Caribbean, pirates in popular culture, historical film, history through film, public executions, executions, death, Caribbean, North America, Colonial America, early modern Britain, early modern history, Atlantic history, transnational history, history of crime, legal history, social history, print culture, women, family, education
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- Email: anytime Phone: Evenings
- About Me
My name is Rebecca and I received my PhD at King’s College London in August 2017. Currently I teach secondary education humanities while I research, write, publish, and consult for television and documentaries. Most recently my article, “Hard, Violent and Unpredictable” was published in History Today (February 2018) in which I explored what happened to pirates’ families after the said pirate was executed for his crimes. I recently did some freelance consulting for a show on Travel Channel called Pirate Treasure. in 2015 I was featured in the BBC4 production of Britain’s Outlaws: Highwaymen, Pirates, and Rogues in episode two: “Pirates.”
I am available for research, interviews, and historical consultancy. I am particularly interested in consulting for television/film productions about pirates and any other area of my expertise listed here. I am also interested in discussions regarding the myths vs. facts about pirates.
- Recent Publications
“Hard, Violent, and Unpredictable,” History Today, 68:2 (February, 2018), 24 – 35.
“The Problem and Potential of Piracy: Legal Changes and Emerging Colonial Ideas of Autonomy in the Early-Modern British Atlantic,” Journal of Maritime Research, 18:2 (November, 2016), 123 – 137.
“The Many Deaths of Captain Kidd,” History Today, 65:7 (July, 2015), 7.
“The Social Construction of Crime in Colonial America: Piracy as a Case Study,” The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 6:6 (March, 2012), 75 – 88.
- Media Coverage
- BBC4, iPlayer
- Country Focus
- Atlantic World
- Expertise by Geography
- Africa, England, United Kingdom, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Pre-17th century, 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, Early Modern, Modern
- Expertise by Topic
- American Revolution, American Founding Era, Capitalism, Colonialism, Economic History, Family, Gender, Government, Law, Politics, Race, Slavery, Religion, Women