- First Name
- Last Name
- Website URL
- • Global South Asia • Connected partitions • Global histories of capitalism • Nuclear technologies
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
Jayita Sarkar is a historian and tenure-track Assistant Professor at Boston University’s Pardee School of Global Studies, where she is also the founding director of the Global Decolonization Initiative. In July 2022, Dr. Sarkar will be relocating to Scotland to take up a permanent position as Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Economic and Social History at the University of Glasgow. Her research specialization is in global South Asia, connected partitions, global histories of capitalism, and nuclear technologies.
Her first book, Ploughshares and Swords. India’s Nuclear Program in the Global Cold War (Cornell University Press, 2022) examines the first forty years of India’s nuclear program through the prisms of technopolitics and territoriality. The book foregrounds the Indian nuclear program’s civilian and military features by probing its close relationship with the space program. It shows how nuclear and space technologies served technopolitical aims of economic modernity and geopolitical goals of deterring adversaries, with consequences for democratic accountability.
For other book-length projects, please visit: www.jayitasarkar.com
- Recent Publications
- Ploughshares and Swords. India’s Nuclear Program in the Global Cold War (Cornell University Press, 2022)
SELECT JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Sarkar, J. “From the Dependable to the Demanding Partner: The Renegotiation of French Nuclear Cooperation with India, 1974-1980,” Cold War History, Vol. 21, No. 3 (2021): 301-318.
- Sarkar, J. “U.S. Policy to Curb West European Nuclear Exports, 1974-1978,” Journal of Cold War Studies, Vol. 21, No. 2 (Spring 2019): 110-149.
- Sarkar, J. “The Making of a Nonaligned Nuclear Power: India’s Proliferation Drift, 1964-1968,” International History Review, Vol. 37, No. 5 (2015): 933-950.
- Sarkar, J. “Compatriotes de l’atome? La coopération nucléaire franco-indienne, 1950-1976,” Critique Internationale, Vol. 63, No. 2 (2014): 131-149.
For the full publication list, please visit: www.jayitasarkar.com
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Countries in South Asia; United States
- Expertise by Geography
- Asia, France, India, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Expertise by Topic
- Capitalism, Colonialism, Economic History, Environment, Material Culture, Migration & Immigration, Politics, Race, Technology