- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- MA Massachusetts
- Harvard University, Society of Fellows
- Website URL
- Art, Gender and Sexuality, Britain, France, Women artists, Education, Print culture, Revolutionary era, Women's history
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am a historian and a historian of art, with a focus on gender and culture in Britain and France during the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Currently, I am a Junior Fellow at the Harvard Society of Fellows.
I specialize in the study of art by women, and the ways in which women have navigated sociopolitical barriers to participate in their societies through art, literature, and other modes of intellectual and creative expression. My research emphasizes the often unprecedented nature of such activity at moments of political revolution and change.
- Recent Publications
“‘Don’t Regret. Remember’: Frictions of History and Gender in Céline Sciamma’s Portrait of a Lady on Fire,” Los Angeles Review of Books (May 11, 2020), https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/dont-regret-remember-frictions-of-history-and-gender-in-celine-sciammas-portrait-of-a-lady-on-fire. Review of Céline Sciamma, Portrait de la jeune fille en feu, 2019.
“Towards a Historically Representative Canon: Integrating Gender and Data for a Revised Model of the Past,” in Jeffrey Collins, Elizabeth Fraser, Elizabeth Mansfield, Amelia Rauser, Kristel Smentek & Wendy Bellion, Paris Spies-Gans, Nancy Um, Amy Freund, “Reflections on HECAA at 25: A Roundtable Discussion,” Journal18 Issue 9 Field Notes (Spring 2020), http://www.journal18.org/issue9/reflections-on-hecaa-at-25-a-roundtable-discussion/.
“Mary Moser: Portraitist,” Journal18, Issue 8 Self/Portrait (Fall 2019), http://www.journal18.org/issue8/mary-moser-portraitist/.
“Exceptional, but not Exceptions: Public Exhibitions and the Rise of the Woman Artist in London and Paris, 1760-1830,” Eighteenth-Century Studies 51, no. 4 (Summer 2018): 393-416, https://muse.jhu.edu/article/699954.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Britain and France
- Expertise by Geography
- England, France, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, Early Modern, Modern
- Expertise by Topic
- Art & Architectural History, Book History, Children & Youth, Family, Gender, Literary History, Material Culture, Museums, Pedagogy, Public History, Rebellion & Revolution, Religion, Sexuality, Women