- First Name
- Last Name
- Bielefeld University
- Website URL
- http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/lharders and https://belonging.hypotheses.org
- Migration History, Gender History, 19th and 20th century European History, 20th century American History, History of Higher Education, Theory and Methods of History, Intersectionality, Biography
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am assistant professor in modern history and gender history at Bielefeld University. I have also worked in the field of history of science and humanities at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin from 2003 to 2007. From 2010 to 2013, I held the post of executive manager of the Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology. As a historian I work on structures and discourses of societies: How did these conditions affect historical subjects, their daily lives and work in the 19th and 20th centuries? My historical perspectives are shaped by gender history, studies on social inequality as well as by interdisciplinary theoretical approaches. Theory and methods of the genre biography is a particular research interest of mine.
After studying German literature, history and gender studies at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, I wrote my master thesis on women in German: „Studiert, promoviert: Arriviert? Promovendinnen des Berliner Germanischen Seminars (1919-1945)“. My doctoral dissertation on „American Studies. Disziplingeschichte und Geschlecht“ focusses on the connection of gender and the production of knowledge.
- Recent Publications
Harders, Levke: Belonging, Migration, and Profession in the German-Danish Borderlands in the 1830s, in: Journal of Borderlands Studies (2018).
Harders, Levke: Mobility and belonging: A printer in nineteenth-century Northern Europe, in: InterDisciplines. Journal of History and Sociology 7 (2016) 1, 87-114.
Harders, Levke: Geschichte(n) erzählen in der Blogosphäre? Der Wissenschaftsblog „Migration and Belonging“, in: IZGOnZeit 6 (2017), 66-67.
Harders, Levke: Legitimizing Biography: Critical Approaches to Biographical Research, in: Bulletin of the German Historical Institute (2014) 55, 49-56.
Brockmeyer, Bettina / Harders, Levke: Questions of belonging: Some introductory remarks, in: InterDisciplines. Journal of History and Sociology 7 (2016) 1, 1-7.
- Media Coverage
- e.g. article in "Neue Westfälische“ (16.08.2017): https://f.hypotheses.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/3331/files/2017/08/2017-08-16_NW_Levke_Harders.pdf
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- France, Germany, Scandinavia, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 5, 7, 8
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Higher Ed, Migration & Immigration, Public History