- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Universityof Maryland, College Park
- Website URL
- https://julieannetaddeo.com/; http://history.umd.edu/users/taddeo; https://www.amazon.com/default/e/B001K8LS4I/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0?redirectedFromKindleDbs=true
- Victorian gender & sexuality, British popular culture, period drama/TV studies, masculinity, Steampunk , Royal family, Regency England; WWII
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I’m a historian of Victorian and Twentieth Century Britain with a focus on gender/sexuality and class. I’ve published about the Bloomsbury Group and literary and sexual modernism, and on more contemporary topics as Steampunk, best-selling authors Catherine Cookson and Anne Perry, British period drama TV (focus on war & trauma, rape, and masculinity). I’m the Washington, D.C. area “expert” on Royal family matters, and use Downton Abbey, Bridgerton, and other forms of pop culture to lecture on historical topics to non-academic audiences. In my spare time I’m an environmental activist and drag my daughter to political rallies.
- Recent Publications
Rape in Period Drama Television: Consent, Myth, and Fantasy (Lexington, 2022).
Diagnosing History: Medicine in Television Period Drama (Manchester U Press, 2022)
Conflicting Masculinities: Men in Television Period Drama (I.B. Tauris, 2018).
“Calling #TimesUp on the TV Period Drama Rape Narrative,” in Critical Studies in Television, 2019.
“Doing History in the Age of Downton Abbey”: A Special Issue for Journal of British Cinema & Television, 2019; includes my article “Let’s Talk About Sex: Period DramaHistories for the 21st Century”
“Sex and the Lady Detective: Re-imagining the Golden Age in Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries,” in Journal of Popular Television, 2016.
Upstairs and Downstairs: British Costume Drama Television from The Forsyte Saga to Downton Abbey (Rowman & Littlefield, 2015)
Steaming into a Victorian Future:A Steampunk Anthology (Scarecrow, 2012)
Catherine Cookson Country: On the Border of Illegitimacy, Fiction, and History (Ashgate 2012)
Lytton Strachey and the Search for Modern Sexual Identity (Haworth, 2002)
- Media Coverage
- Great Day Washington (on Royal Wedding 2018); Voice of America (the other Royal Wedding); Elle Canada (on period drama TV- forthcoming); Broadway website for my talk on "My Fair Lady" (2018)
- Country Focus
- UK & US
- Expertise by Geography
- United Kingdom
- Expertise by Chronology
- 5, 8, 9
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Public History, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Women, World War I, World War II