- First Name
- Last Name
- Emmanuel College, University of Toronto
- Website URL
- American evangelicalism, gender history, complementarianism, anti-feminism, 20th century, anti-feminist organizing, Christian print culture, Christian book industry
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- I am working at an office job Tues-Thurs 9-5 and am unable to respond to requests during those hours.
- other credentials
- About Me
I am a Toronto-based scholar of American evangelicalism. My research focuses on anti-feminist mobilization amongst white evangelicals since 1970, particularly looking at the development of a theological gender ideology known as complementarianism and its spread through pop theology books produced by Christian publishers over the last five decades.
I am on the cusp of finishing my PhD at the University of Toronto’s Toronto School of Theology and expect to have my degree in early 2021. My previous degrees include a Master of Theological Studies from Conrad Grebel University College at the University of Waterloo and a BA in History and Religion and Culture from Wilfrid Laurier University.
I have been involved in a collaborative academic blog called Women in Theology since 2016 and have served as a co-editor since 2018.
- Recent Publications
“Emily Hunter McGowin. Quivering Families: The Quiverfull Movement and Evangelical Theology of the Family.” Toronto Journal of Theology, 36(1), pp. 100–101
Co-editor and Contributor, Women in Theology, womenintheology.org. Selected posts:
- “‘What About Rape?’ Gender, Violence, and Policing,” June 10, 2020
- “Self-care in Research,” April 24, 2018
- “How Our Theology Keeps Us Racist,” July 15, 2017
- “Justice and the Authority of the Past,” September 29, 2016
- “Reframing Feminist Waves,” May 12, 2016
“Magical Past, Christian Past: Historical Postures in Harry Potter” in The Theological World of Harry Potter, Taylor Ott and Shaun Brown, eds. Lexington Press. Expected publication 2021.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Canada, United States
- Expertise by Geography
- United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Book History, Gender, Politics, Religion, Sexuality, Women