- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- TX Texas
- Southwestern University
- Website URL
- France, French Empire, Migration & Immigration, Colonialism, Nationalism, Islam, Muslim minorities, Race, Human Rights, Activism, 20th Century Europe
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
My research interests include the histories of migration, activism, human rights, humanitarianism, France and the French Empire, and the Muslim world. I’m finishing a book on post-1945 community activism for North African rights and welfare in the suburbs of Paris and Lyon. Recently, I’ve also been working on anti-Salazarism in France in the 1960s and the role of racial ideology in Cold War diplomacy. In addition to my scholarly work, I am a regular contributor to the Lawyers, Guns & Money blog.
- Recent Publications
“Ramadan in the Republic: Imperial Necessity and Religious Assistance in the Rhône Department,” French Cultural Studies, Vol. 28, No. 1, February 2017.
“Liberating the Land or Absorbing a Community: Managing North African Migration and the Bidonvilles in Paris’s Banlieues,” French Politics, Culture & Society [special issue: “Algerian Legacies in Metropolitan France”], Vol. 31, No. 3, Winter 2013, pp. 1-20.
“Teaching the French Revolution from the Inside Out: Views from Egypt and the Caribbean,” World History Bulletin, Vol. XXVI, no. 1 (Spring 2010).
- Media Coverage
- Regular contributor, Lawyers Guns & Money, Jan. 2017-present. Occasional op-eds for the Austin American Statesman
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- France, Mediterranean, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Modern, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Human Rights, Local & Regional, Migration & Immigration, Race, Urban History