- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Website URL
- music history, opera, education, eighteenth-century studies, nineteenth-century studies, gender, sexuality, Georgian history, Scottish music, Allan Ramsay, Robert Burns.
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- I'm available at any time. Please get in touch.
- About Me
I am a Lecturer in Historical Musicology at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and a trained singer. My research interests include singers and singing in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. My forthcoming book Venanzio Rauzzini and the Birth of a New Style in English Singing: Scandalous Lessons is due to be published by Routledge. I have been a visiting researcher at the University of Sydney and at Chawton House and I am a Research Associate for the AHRC-funded project ‘The Edited Collection of Allan Ramsay’. I am also editing Allan Ramsay’s Tea-Table Miscellany with Professor Murray Pittock and Dr David McGuinness. Past projects include establishing the Royal Society of Edinburgh-funded network, the Eighteenth-century Arts Education Research Network and working as Research Assistant for the Romantic National Song Network, also funded by Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- Recent Publications
My monograph Venanzio Rauzzini and the Birth of a New Style in English Singing: Scandalous Lessons is forthcoming. I am also editing Allan Ramsay’s Tea-Table Miscellany, which is due to be published by Edinburgh University Press in 2022.
Recent academic publications include:
Robertson-Kirkland, B. E. (2021) On this day in history Domenico Corri arrived in Edinburgh, History Scotland.
Robertson-Kirkland, B. E. (2020) Mapping changes to the songs in The Gentle Shepherd, 1725-1788. Studies in Scottish Literature, 46(2), pp. 103-126.
Robertson-Kirkland, B. E. (2019) Performance potential of Stationers’ Hall collections. Brio, 56(2), pp. 77-86.
Robertson-Kirkland, B. (2018) Music-making: a fundamental or a vain accomplishment? Women’s History, 2(10), pp. 30-34.
- Media Coverage
- History Scotland, 2021; Music Matters, BBC Radio 3, 2019; The Eighteenth-century Castrato, Pop Enlightenments Season 2 Episode 8, 2019 Eighteenth-century Music and Historical Drama, Pop Enlightenments Season 2 Episode 7, 2019; The Castrated O
- Country Focus
- Britain, Scotland, and Australia
- Expertise by Geography
- Australia, British Isles, England, United Kingdom
- Expertise by Chronology
- 18th century, 19th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Pedagogy, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Women