- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Independent scholar
- Website URL
- late medieval, early modern, religion, authenticity, proof, memory, pilgrimage, pilgrims, replicas, souvenirs, material culture, pilgrim badges, Reformation, Counter-Reformation, saints, Virgin Mary, Nazareth, Holy Land, travel, travel writing, pilgrimage narratives, conversion, consumption, eating and drinking, hospitality, ephemera, public history
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
Hello! My research, broadly speaking, looks at the impact of the Reformation on travel, travel writing, and encounters with the other. I look at how late medieval and early modern Europeans continued to think about, write about, and travel to the Levant in the post-Crusade era. I’m also interested in the souvenirs they picked up along the way, especially pilgrim badges.
My dissertation looked at shrines to the Holy House of the Annunciation in England, Scotland, Italy, and Nazareth– some replicas, some purporting to be the actual house of the Virgin Mary, miraculously transported to Europe– and how people tried to prove that they were authentic.
My new project investigates how people talk about the Reformation and religious change while they’re traveling. I’m particularly looking at how people have these conversations and even try to convert others while they’re eating and drinking together.
- Recent Publications
2020 “How to Build a Holy House: Constructing Sacred and Domestic Space in Late Medieval England.” In Visual Ecologies of Placemaking, edited by Leslie Atzmon and Pamela A.V. Stewart. New York: Bloomsbury Academic, in press.
2015 “Otherness and Englishness in Late-Mediaeval Pilgrimage Guides.” In Cultural Histories of Sociability, Spaces and Mobility, edited by Colin Divall. London: Routledge.
2012 “Hat.” In The Encyclopedia of Medieval Pilgrimage, edited by Larissa Taylor. Leiden: Brill.
2012 “Scrip.” In The Encyclopedia of Medieval Pilgrimage, edited by Larissa Taylor. Leiden: Brill.
2012 “Staff.” In The Encyclopedia of Medieval Pilgrimage, edited by Larissa Taylor. Leiden: Brill.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- England, Scotland, Italy, Israel
- Expertise by Geography
- British Isles, England, Mediterranean, Middle East, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 1, 2, 3, 6
- Expertise by Topic
- Food History, Material Culture, Museums, Public History, Religion