- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- IL Illinois
- University of Chicago
- Website URL
- Russia, Ukraine, Russian-Ukrainian relations, Russian-US relations, Russian-European relations, nationalism, Eastern Europe, the history of "provocation," international terrorism, migration history, immigration, antisemitism, nineteenth-century Europe, European urban history, exile.
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I specialize in Modern Russian history. My first book, Children of Rus’: Right-Bank Ukraine and the Invention of the Russian Nation (2013) focused on Russian-Ukrainian relations in the nineteenth century. I am finishing a book entitled Utopia’s Discontents: Russian Exiles and the Quest for Freedom, 1830s-1930s. This project explores how Russian revolutionaries living abroad shaped radical thought in Russia and the culture of their western host societies.
I have held research fellowships at Columbia University’s Harriman Institute, Harvard University’s Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, and the Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers at the New York Public Library. I have won grants from ACLS, IREX, Fulbright-Hays, NCEEER, and the NEH
I am available for comment on topics that include: Russia, Ukraine, Russian-Ukrainian relations, Russian-US relations, Russian-European relations, nineteenth-century European history, European urban history, Eastern Europe, nationalism, the history of “provocation,” the history of international terrorism, antisemitism, immigration history, immigration, and the history of exile.
- Recent Publications
“‘The Franco-Russian Marseillaise’: International Exchange and the Making of Anti-Liberal Politics in Fin-de-Siècle France.” Journal of Modern History 89, no. 1 (Mar. 2017): 39–78.
“Children of Rus’: Nationalist Imaginations in Right-Bank Ukraine.” In The Future of the Past: New Perspectives in Ukrainian History, edited by Serhii Plokhy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2016.
“Intimacy and Antipathy: Russian-Ukrainian Relations in Historical Perspective.” Kritika 16, no. 1 (Win. 2015): 121–28.
Children of Rus’: Right-Bank Ukraine and the Invention of a Russian Nation. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2013.
- Media Coverage
- I have done interviews with Al-Jazeera, Bloomberg, CBC, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, International Business Times, National Geographic, NBC News, Newsweek, Radio France Internationale, Veja (Brazil), and the US Government , among others.
- Country Focus
- Russia, Ukraine, Russian emigres in western Europe
- Expertise by Geography
- Eastern Europe, England, France, Germany, Russia, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Migration & Immigration, Politics, Rebellion & Revolution