- First Name
- Last Name
- Spence Orsolits Ph.D.
- United States
- GA Georgia
- Independent Scholar
- Website URL
- British Atlantic World History, Barbados, Rice Cultivation, Slavery, Drayton Hall, Palladian Architecture, Andre Michaux, Historic Landscapes, Ferme Ornee, Landscapes of Slavery, Women's History and Kinship Ties, Southern Men and Honor, Historic Preservation of Charleston, Public History, Archaeology of Drayton Hall, Crowfield Plantation. The Holocaust and the Landscape of Genocide: Latvia and Riga.
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am currently an Independent Scholar based in Smyrna, Georgia. In, 1977, I attained a Bachelors of Arts from Indiana University in History. From 1977 to 2019, I was employed by Delta Air Lines as a Flight Attendant. I flew as a Purser on International Flights and also served as a member of Delta’s Conflict Resolution Team and Critical Incident Response Team.
From 2001 to 2004, I was a graduate student at Georgia State University in the Heritage Preservation Program. I was awarded a Master of Heritage Preservation in 2004, with a concentration in Public History and Museum Studies. I worked for The National Park Service/Historic Landmark Program from 2001 to 2004. In addition, I conducted historic research on Drayton Hall’s Historic Landscape and also the connection with Andre Michaux. I also worked as a research assistant for James Cothran ASLA on the history of Loutrel Briggs and Charleston’s Historic Gardens.
In 2005, I began the Doctoral Program in History at Georgia State University with a concentration in Southern History, British Atlantic World History, and the History of Women and Gender. I began research on the Drayton Paper’s Collection, which is a digital record of all the Drayton family of Drayton Hall’s papers from 1702 to the twentieth century.
Currently, my research centers on the Holocaust and the Landscape of Genocide: Riga, Latvia.
- Recent Publications
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Colonial North America
- Expertise by Geography
- Atlantic, British Isles, Caribbean, Eastern Europe, England, France, Russia, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- American Civil War, American Revolution, American Founding Era, Art & Architectural History, Capitalism, Colonialism, Emancipation, Environment, Gender, Genocide, Holocaust & Nazi Persecution, Human Rights, Material Culture, Medicine, Museums, Public History, Race, Rural & Agrarian History, Slavery, Women, World War II