- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- CO Colorado
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- Website URL
- Medieval Europe, reliquaries, portable altars, relics, devotion, materiality
- No Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- other credentials
- About Me
I am a doctoral candidate in the History Department at the University of Colorado in Boulder. My current research focuses on medieval constructions of space, memory, and identity through material culture. In particular, I question how portable altars demonstrate the entanglement of religion, things, and ideologies between 1000 and 1270 CE. See more at medievalportablealtars.com.
My research interests also include the movement and manipulation of raw materials, such as metals, gemstones, and ivory, as well as the consolidation of identities through the creation of relic-lists.
I received a B.A. in History, with minors in Art History and Medieval & Renaissance Studies, from Trinity University in 2014. I have interned under the tapestry curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, as well as participated in the archaeological excavation of the Binchester Roman Fort near Durham, England.
I am a member of the Medieval Academy of America, the International Center of Medieval Art, and the American Historical Association.
- Recent Publications
- “The Medieval Portable Altar Database.” Material Religion: The Journal of Objects, Art and Belief. November 2020. doi.org/10.1080/17432200.2020.1843915.
- Book Review: Cynthia Hahn, Passion Relics and the Medieval Imagination: Art, Architecture, and Society (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2020) for Comitatus (2020), 278-279. doi.org/10.1353/cjm.2020.0024.
- “White Supremacy and Medieval History: A Brief Overview.” Erstwhile (blog), March 2020. https://erstwhileblog.com/2020/03/18/white-supremacy-and-medieval-history-a-brief-overview/.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- England, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Expertise by Topic
- Art & Architectural History, Material Culture, Religion