- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Nebraska Wesleyan University
- Website URL
- Western History, United States, Latin America, Revolutions in Latin America, Western Women's History, Native American History, Comparative Borderlands, Spanish Borderlands, Environmental History, American Indian History, Indigenous History, Sovereignty, Land Rights, Consultant
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I have a PhD in Latin American and U.S. Western History, and specialize in Borderlands and Native American land and sovereignty issues. I have taught History at the university-level since 1993 on a variety of Western US and Latin American topics. I am currently teaching a course (World Civilizations) focusing on indigenous peoples prior to and including European militant colonialism.
I have authored five books, including two award winning book on New Mexico history and women’s experiences on the North American plains.
I am a consultant for Native American land rights and sovereignty cases.
- Recent Publications
Women on the North American Plains with Renee Laegreid (Lubbock: Texas Tech University Press, 2012): Anthology Honor Award winner, Nebraska Center for the Book, 2012.
A History of New Mexico since Statehood with Richard Melzer and Robert Torrez (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2011): Gaspar Perez de Villagra Award winner, Historical Society of New Mexico, 2012.
American Indians in the Early West (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2008).
Between Breaths: A Teacher in the Alaskan Bush (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2006).
I have published a myriad of articles, chapters, entries, for books and encyclopedias on Spanish colonial and borderlands, Russian Alaska, Women of the US West, and Native American History.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- Central America, Latin America, Spain, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 2, 3, 4, 5
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Environment, Gender, Indigenous Peoples, Rebellion & Revolution, Rural & Agrarian History, Women