- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- MA Massachusetts
- Berkshire Publishing Group
- Website URL
- Valerie Eliot, Sophia Mumford, women and leadership, wives, mistresses, salonnieres, secretaries, , Chinese history, English literature, 20th-century literary women, women and power, women leading from the margins
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- other credentials
- About Me
Karen Christensen is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Berkshire Publishing Group, and a writer specializing in sustainability and community with a focus on China. She worked for Blackwell Science, Faber and Faber, and the T. S. Eliot estate before writing a bestselling environmental handbook.
In 2005, Karen became a publisher herself, with titles such as the Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability and the Berkshire Dictionary of Chinese Biography.
She is currently working on Too Near the Flame, a book about Valerie Eliot, Sophia Mumford, and her relationship with these two literary widows and keepers of the flame. “Dear Mrs. Eliot,” her memoir about working with Valerie Eliot, was a cover story in the Guardian Review (January 29, 2005). In “Paths to Power,” a chapter in Women & Leadership: History, Theories, and Case Studies, edited by George R. Goethals and Crystal A. Hoyt (Berkshire 2017), Karen explored the nontraditional ways that women in history have gained and wielded power.
- Recent Publications
Beyond the Book podcast, interview: (August 2019): https://beyondthebookcast.com/thanks-for-typing/.
“Hidden Wives, Hidden Lives,” The Author (Autumn 2019).
“Thanks for Typing: The Wives, Daughters, Mothers, and Other Women Behind Famous Men,” Logos (in press).
“Leading from the Fringes” in Women and Leadership (Goethals & Hoyt, 2017).
Berkshire Bookworld podcast, Sophia Mumford at The Dial in the 1920s: http://bit.ly/2Tbe6lF.
“Dear Mrs. Eliot,” cover story, Guardian Review (January 2005): http://bit.ly/2IxZt8b
- Media Coverage
- New York Times, Guardian, The Times, Telegraph, Daily Express, Woman's Own
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- China, England, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Book History, Environment, Food History, Literary History, Politics, Sexuality, Women, World War I, World War II