- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- Department of War Studies, King’s College, London
- Website URL
- Military history, naval history, naval warfare, Imperial Japanese History, Classical Athenian Democracy, Classical Athens, Classical Athenian Navy, Greek Historiography, Greek rhetoric,
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- other credentials
- About Me
I am a naval historian with a classical language and ancient history training in background. I read Classics at undergraduate level at Royal Holloway, University of London, then read Ancient History at postgraduate taught level at University of London. I primarily focused on Ancient Greek, Greek Historiography and Ancient Greek naval warfare.
My current research focuses on Imperial Japanese Navy and the Athenian navy of fifth century BC, analysing the navy’s relationship to politics. My thesis questions the over empathised link between democracy and seapower.
I am bilingual in Japanese and English, I have over 10 years experience of working with Latin and Ancient Greek.
- Recent Publications
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- Asia, East Asia, Japan, Mediterranean, Pacific
- Expertise by Chronology
- Ancient, Modern, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Diplomacy, Government, Military, Politics, World War I, World War II