- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Macalester College
- Website URL
- France. Cartography, explorers in Sixteenth Century France. Literature and Art of French Italian 16th century
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
Ph.D., received with Great Honors, June 1991, French, University of
Thesis “Les délits du corps” directed by Tom Conley: Harvard University.
Major field of concentration: 16th century French Literature.
- 2015 to present: Full time Associate Professor of French, Macalester College.
Seclected Publications. Most recent books
- Book: Voyages dans l’école cartographique de Dieppe au XVIe siècle; espaces, altérités et influences (New York; Peter Lang, 2014.) The study proposes a close study of early modern French literature through the history of the École cartographique de Dieppe and the readings of the Travel narratives of Jean and Raoul Parmentier (1520 and 1529).
- Book: Les voies cartographiques. (New York: The Edwin Mellen Press, 2004). The book proposes a close study of early modern French literature through the history of cartography and readings in psychoanalysis.
- Book: L’Inconscient graphique. Essai sur l’écriture de la Renaissance. Translation into French of The Graphic Unconscious in Early Modern French Writing, by Tom Conley. Cambridge Studies in French. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992). Translation published by Presses Universitaires de Vincennes. (2000). This book studies the importance of typographic shapes in French Renaissance literature in the context of psychoanalysis and of the history of printed writing.
Current Research; early stages for a new book considering the beginning of the anamorphosis and trompe-l’oeil in the 15th and 16th century France.
- Recent Publications
Recent article/ Book:
– “Architectes de papier’’ Reflets de l’étoile du Nord, American Association of Teachers of French, Minnesota, to appear in Spring 2019.
– Book; Co/translator, Co/Editor of the Study guide (following of the book of 2016) published by The Workable World Trust (2017-2018.)
2018 Wallace Scholarly Activity grant, Macalester College.
2017 Medici Archive Project Seminar in Paleography and Archival Studies, Florence, January 2017. Travel grant.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- France, Italy and the New World
- Expertise by Geography
- France, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Expertise by Topic
- Art & Architectural History, Colonialism, Women