- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- IA Iowa
- Grinnell College
- Website URL
- sport studies, sport history, gender studies, American history, digital humanities, digital history, American Studies, sound studies, baseball, archives, data, libraries, information science, popular culture
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
Katherine Walden is a Digital Liberal Arts Specialist in the Digital Liberal Arts Collaborative at Grinnell College. She is finishing a Ph.D. in American Studies-Sport Studies at the University of Iowa (May 2019 completion), where she also earned an MA in American Studies-Sport Studies (2016) and an MA in Library and Information Science, with a Certificate in Public Digital Humanities (2018). Her areas of expertise include data analysis and visualization, mapping and spatial analysis, digital pedagogy, and multimodal composition. She also specializes in data management, digital scholarship, and digital preservation. When not experimenting with data and technology, her research looks at issues of labor, power, and representation in U.S. sport, with a focus on globalization and cultural identity in professional baseball.
- Recent Publications
Walden, K. (2017, July 11). Washington Nationals’ Western Tour. In The Muse: The Library of Congress Performing Arts Reading Room Blog.
Walden, K. (2017, July 31). The Umpire Strikes Out: Baseball Music and Labor. Library of Congress Blog.
Walden, K., guest. (2017, July 19). Baseball and Music [podcast]. Music in 2 Flavors.
Walden, K., co-host. (Fall 2016-Spring 2017). The Newly-Composed PhD: Writing Across Careers Podcast.
Walden, K. (2017, April 6). Baseball Myths in Trump’s America. Sport in American History.
Walden, K. (2017, March 29). Blogging Within and Beyond the Academy. University of Iowa Next Generation PhD.
Walden, K. (2016, December 30). A Method to the Method. University of Iowa Next Generation PhD.
Walden, K. (2016, May 22). Using the Archive to Teach Sport History, Digital Humanities, and Rhet-Comp. Digital Humanities Now.
Walden, K. (2016, July). Saturday Night Baseball. National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- U.S., Latin America
- Expertise by Geography
- Caribbean, Central America, Latin America, North America, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Labor, Libraries & Archives, Migration & Immigration, Museums, Pedagogy, Public History, Race, Rural & Agrarian History, Sports, Technology, Urban History, Women