- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Westminster College
- Website URL
- Central Europe, religious history, East Germany, socialism, Catholic history, memory, gender, Hungary, public history, digital history
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- Personal website: kathrynjulian.net
- About Me
I’m currently an assistant professor in History at Westminster College, a liberal arts institution in Salt Lake City, Utah. I teach broadly, including courses on Modern Europe, Modern World, East Asia, the Holocaust, Film and Memory, and Truth and Reconciliation.
My research interests center on questions of sacred space and religion in socialism. My current book project explores the relationship of men and women religious to Catholic communities and the secular state in socialist East Germany. I defended my dissertation at UMass Amherst in 2017.
My next project focuses on religion and ecology in Hungary.
- Recent Publications
“Under the Habit: Resistance of Catholic Sisters against East German State Authority in the 1950s,” in Gendering Post-1945 German History: Entanglements. Friederike Bruehoefener, Karen Hagemann, and Donna Harsch, eds. Oxford and New York: Berghahn Books, 2019.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Germany, Hungary, People’s Republic of China, Japan
- Expertise by Geography
- East Asia, Eastern Europe, Germany
- Expertise by Chronology
- 7, 8
- Expertise by Topic
- Genocide, Public History, Religion