- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Connecticut College
- Website URL
- Colonial North America, Women's History, Gender History, Family History, Caribbean History, the History of Early New England
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- On leave academic year 2018-2019.
- About Me
I am the Charles J. McCurdy Professor of American History at Connecticut College.
My present research is on North America and the Caribbean. I have begun a project comparing the experiences of seventeenth-century women in Barbados, Bermuda, Virginia and New England. I have previously published on topics such as widowhood, manhood, and stepfamilies in Early America.
- Recent Publications
My books are as follows:
A History of Stepfamilies in Early America (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2014).
Ye Heart of a Man: The Domestic Life of Men in Colonial New England (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1999).
Life After Death: Widows in Pennsylvania, 1750-1850 (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1992).
- Media Coverage
- Podcast interview, 2015, Ben Franklin's World: A Podcast about Early American History (http://www.benfranklinsworld.com/027). Blog posts for the University of North Carolina Press: --Lisa Wilson: Stepfamilies Are “Traditional” American Families (Octo
- Country Focus
- United States
- Expertise by Geography
- Caribbean, North America, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 3, 4, 5
- Expertise by Topic
- American Revolution, American Founding Era, Children & Youth, Family, Gender, Women