- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- LA Louisiana
- BirkbeckCollege, University of London
- Website URL
- Specialist in history of sexuality, women, pornography, erotica, prostitution, social, medical eighteenth-century and Victorian. Expert on History of Leros, Greece.
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- Julie Peakman is an acclaimed historian and Fellow of the Royal Historical Society as well as Honorary Fellow of Birbeck College. She has written many books on history of C18th sexuality, prostitution and pornogrpahy. She has also examined erotic literature of C18th and Victorian era. See her website www.juliepeakman.co.uk
- About Me
Julie Peakman is a historian who regularly writes for national newspapers and historical journals. She also appears on television and radio (see YouTube for showreel) and gives lectures and talks in Britain and abroad.
Cold Case History BBC2
John Cleland’s Fanny Hill BBC4
Age of Excess BBC4
The Harlot’s Handbook, BBC4
Byron, Biography Channel.
Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, Channel 4
As Queer as C18th Folk, Channel 4
- Recent Publications
Hitler’s Island War. TheMen who Fought for Leros (IB Tauris 2018)
Amatory Pleasures Explorations in in C18th Sexual Culture (Bloomsbury, 2016)
Peg Plunkett, Memoirs of a Whore (Quercus 2015)
‘The Pleasure’s All Mine. A History of Sexual Perversion (Reaktion, due 2013)
(ed.) A Culture of the History of Sexuality (Berg, due 2010) 6 volumes: General Editor and project manager; editor for Enlightenment volume.
(ed.), Sexual Perversions 1650-1890 (Palgrave, 2009)
(ed.) Whore’s Biographies in the Long C18th (London, Pickering & Chatto, 2007) Eight Volumes with full annotations
Emma Hamilton. A biography. (London, Haus, 2005)
Lascivious Bodies. A Sexual History of the Eighteenth Century (London, Atlantic, 2004) Also Japanese translation.
Mighty Lewd Books, The Development of Pornography in C18th England (Basingstoke, Palgrave Press, 2003 ) Paperback October 2012
- Media Coverage
- see above
- Country Focus
- Britain and Greece
- Expertise by Geography
- British Isles, England, India, Mediterranean, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 18th century, 19th century, Early Modern, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Book History, Colonialism, Gender, Military, Religion, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Urban History, Women, World War II