- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- VA Virginia
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Website URL
- Early Republic, American history, Early America, US in the world, American diplomatic history, American-Ottoman Relations, American reform movements, nineteenth century
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
My research brings together my expertise in classical history with my interest in global history during the era of the early American republic. My most recent project examines American popular support for the Greek War of Independence during the 1820s and argued that this sentimental movement developed into a practical school for political action, which facilitated the rise of the abolitionist movement and generated support for female education and women’s rights.
- Recent Publications
“The Greek Fire”: The Greek Revolution and the Emergence of American Reform Movements, Book manuscript under contract with Cornell University Press, United States in the World Series.
“Depart from that Retired Circle:” Women’s Support of the Greek War for Independence and Antebellum Reform. Early American Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Volume 15 (2017), No. 1, 194-223.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United States
- Expertise by Geography
- Atlantic, Mediterranean, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century
- Expertise by Topic
- American Civil War, American Revolution, American Founding Era, Diplomacy, Politics, Public History, Rebellion & Revolution, Slavery, Women