- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- University of the Highlands and Islands
- Website URL
- British Army, Jacobitism, British Imperialism, Early America, American Revolutionary Era, Indigenous History, Warfare, Violence, Pacification
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am a military historian and historian of the eighteenth-century British Empire. I completed my AHRC funded doctorate, ‘The Cultural Paradigms of British Imperialism in the Militarisation of Scotland and North America, c.1745-1775’ at the University of Stirling in 2019. My doctoral research examined the cultural paradigms guiding the actions and understandings of British Army officers as they waged war, pacified hostile peoples, and attempted to assimilate ‘other’ population groups within the British Empire.
My research currently focuses on warfare and identity formation throughout the British Empire, with a particular interest in the various ways that militarisation affected the implementation of empire in geographical fringes and its role in the imperial crisis leading to the American Revolution. As well as working to revise my doctoral thesis into a monograph, I am currently researching conceptions of loyalty in the eighteenth-century Atlantic world and investigating the impact of army officers on British policymaking at all levels throughout the long eighteenth century.
- Recent Publications
‘Lord Loudoun, the Highlands, and imperial subjecthood in North America’, Scottish Historical Review, Vol. 100, no. 2 (Oct. 2021).
Biographies of Hugh Campbell, third earl of Loudoun; John Murray, second earl of Dunmore; John Sutherland, sixteenth earl of Sutherland; William Sutherland, seventeenth earl of Sutherland and James Stewart, second earl of Bute for The History of Parliament: The House of Lords 1715-1790 [History of Parliament Trust].
- Media Coverage
- Unearthed Podcast, two-part Highland Clearance Special ; Blood of the Clans, BBC ; Frankie Boyle’s Tour of Scotland, BBC .
- Country Focus
- Britain, Scotland, North America
- Expertise by Geography
- Atlantic, British Isles, North America, United Kingdom, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 4, 7
- Expertise by Topic
- American Revolution, American Founding Era, Colonialism, Indigenous Peoples, Military, Rebellion & Revolution