- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- University of Exeter
- Website URL
- Russian empire, international law, Eurasia, global and maritime history, Black Sea, Eastern Mediterranean
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am a historian of imperial Russia and Europe, working on understanding and practice of international law in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
- Recent Publications
- “‘Prostitution of the Russian Flag’: Privateers in Russian Admiralty Courts, 1787-1798.” Law and History Review 35, no. 4 (November 2017): 1049-81.
“Greeks into Privateers: Commerce raiders under the imperial Russian flag, 1760s-1790s” in Ideologies of Western naval power, 1500-1815, ed. J. D. Davies, Alan James, and Gijs Rommelse (Ashgate. Forthcoming 2018).
Review Article. “Across the Seven Seas: Is Russian Maritime History More than Regional History?” Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History 17, no. 3 (2016): 631-46.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Russia, Eurasia, Eastern Europe
- Expertise by Geography
- Eastern Europe, Russia
- Expertise by Chronology
- 18th century, 19th century, Early Modern, Modern
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Law, Libraries & Archives, Local & Regional, Rebellion & Revolution