- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- KS Kansas
- Washburn University
- Website URL
- Women, Gender, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Peace History, World War II, Religion, Mennonite History, Anabaptism, Family History, Children
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am a Professor of History at Washburn University with scholarly and teaching interests in U.S. History, women’s history and gender studies, sexuality, peace history, and Mennonite history. My research has focused on the history of conscientious objection in the United States and 20th century U.S. women’s history, as well as the history of sexual abuse in religious contexts and campus settings. I also write about LGTBQ inclusion/exclusion in religion, especially in Mennonite institutions.
- Recent Publications
“Historical Justice in an Era of #MeToo,” in Sightings: Reflections on Religion in Public Life, ed., Brett Colasacco (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, forthcoming in 2019).
“Mennonite Bodies, Sexual Ethics: Women Challenge John Howard Yoder, Journal of Mennonite Studies 34 (2016): 243-255.
“’Defanging the Beast’: Mennonite Responses to John Howard Yoder’s Sexual Abuse,”
Mennonite Quarterly Review, 89 (January 2015): 7-80.
“Campus Protests and John Howard Yoder, 1985-1997,” Mennonite Life, 69 (2015).
“Disarming the Toy Store and Reloading the Shopping Cart: Resistance to Violent Consumer Culture,” Peace & Change: A Journal of Peace Research, 38 (July 2013).
“‘Like Entering an Armed Camp’: Christian Peacemaker Teams and the Language of Violent-Toy Protests” Mennonite Quarterly Review, 86 (January 2012): 49-74.
Women Against the Good War: Conscientious Objection and Gender on the American Home Front, 1941-47. University of North Carolina Press, Gender and Culture Series, 1997.
- Media Coverage
- https://www.academia.edu/35666173/Historian_Studies_the_Loss_of_LGBTQ_Pastors_Leaders_in_Mennonite_Church; https://www.academia.edu/20334984/Roy_Myers_Award_For_Excellence_in_Research
- Country Focus
- United States
- Expertise by Geography
- North America
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Children & Youth, Family, Gender, Religion, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Women, World War II