- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- University College London
- Website URL
- Financial history, economic history, fiscal history, history of economic thought, infrastructure economics and finance, climate change economics and finance
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I joined UCL in September 2014 as a Senior Lecturer (equivalent to Associate Professor in the USA) in Economics and Finance of the Built Environment at CPM here at UCL Bartlett. In February 2017, I was appointed Interim Director (Head of Department) of BSCPM. In late January 2018, I was appointed to a professorial chair in Economics and Finance of the Built Environment with effect from March 2018.
Before coming to UCL, I spent six years as a fellow of Newnham College where I variously held a junior research fellowship (Mary Bateson Research Fellowship), a post as a college lecturer and teaching fellow, and a Leverhulme ECF. In July 2009, I started the Centre for Financial History, which I directed through December 2014. It is still going strong, but has moved from Newnham College to Darwin College in line with the affiliation of its new director.
I did my undergraduate training at the Wharton School in managerial and financial economics and my PhD in History from the School of Arts & Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania. While at Penn, my doctoral research in the UK was funded in part by the Mellon Foundation under the guise of an IHR pre-doctoral fellowship and an SSRC international dissertation fellowship. I have lived in the UK more or less continuously since 2005. I am a fellow of the Royal Historical Society, a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Recent Publications
Please see my attached webpage.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- UK and Western Europe
- Expertise by Geography
- Atlantic, British Isles, England, France, United Kingdom, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, Early Modern, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Capitalism, Economic History, Government, Higher Ed, Politics, Science