- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- University of York
- Website URL
- English Reformation, Counter-Reformation Europe, Post-Reformation Catholicism, sound, senses, music, society, and culture in early modern England, women, women's writing, convents, nuns, exiles, migration, language.
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am Lecturer in Early Modern History at the University of York and specialist of the cultural and religious history of early modern England. I have experience sharing my research with a public audience on TV and radio, and have offered expert advice and comment for musical recording projects and TV shows.
- Recent Publications
(ed. with Robin Macdonald and Elizabeth L. Swann) Sensing the Sacred in Medieval and Early Modern Culture (London: Routledge, 2018).
‘Making Memories in post-Reformation English Catholic musical miscellanies’ in Memory and the English Reformation Brian Cummings et al (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2020).
‘Exile and Linguistic Encounter: Early Modern English Convents in the Low Countries and France’, Renaissance Quarterly 73 (2020): 132-164.
‘Language and Power in an English Convent in Exile, c.1621-c.1631’, The Historical Journal 62 (2019): 101-125.
‘Introduction’ in Sensing the Sacred in Medieval and Early Modern Culture (New York: Routledge, 2018). With Robin Macdonald and Elizabeth Swann.
‘A sense of place: hearing English Catholicism in the Spanish Habsburg territories, 1568-1659’ in Sensing the Sacred, eds. Murphy, Macdonald and Swann, 136-157.
‘Musical self-fashioning and the “theatre of death” in late Elizabethan and Jacobean England’, Renaissance Studies 30 (2016): 410-429.
‘Ballads and Catholic culture in post-Reformation Lancashire: piety, protest and conversion’, British Catholic History 32 (2015): 492-525.
‘Adoramus te Christe: Music and post-Reformation English Catholic domestic piety’ in Religion and the Household: Studies in Church History Vol. 50, eds. Alexandra Walsham et al. (Woodbridge, Suffolk: Boydell & Brewer, 2014): 242-255.
- Media Coverage
- I have media experience, and have shared my research expertise with the general public through features on radio (BBC Radio 4), and on television in the UK (BBC 1 - Countryfile) and US (What on Earth, The Science Channel - for WAG TV).
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- British Isles, England, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 2, 3, 6
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Migration & Immigration, Religion