- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- University of Nevada Las vegas
- Website URL
- gender and policy, women and work, women in Las Vegas employment, public history, oral history
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- available after September 2018
- About Me
My early academic work focused on gender and welfare policy. Since the mid-1990s I have focused on building and publishing resources on women in Las Vegas history. The archival sources include the Nevada Women’s Archives at UNLV and the Las Vegas Women Oral History Project. The results of the activities have included publications, media, and online digital. For an example see:
- Nevada Women’s History – A Digital Legacy Project. An online repository of text, audio and video from the combined resources of the MAKERS project, the Las Vegas Women Oral History Project, and historical research. 118 individuals with multiple resources each. https://womennvhistory.com
- MAKERS: Women in Nevada History. Three ½-hr programs co-production with VegasPBS. Original air date, October 21, 2014. Rebroadcast annually in March. https//:womennvhistory.com/makers
I am currently working with the National Collaborative for Women’s History Sites on a massive digital project marking sites of women suffrage activity nationally in ready for the 2020 anniversary of the 19th Amendment. http://www.ncwhs.org/
- Recent Publications
- Changing the Game: Women at Work in Las Vegas, 1940-1990 (University of Nevada Press, 2014).
- “Women at Work in Las Vegas, 1940-1980,” In Oral History, Community, and Work in the American West. Ed. Jessie Embry (Tucson AZ: University of Arizona Press, 2013), 175-96.
- “Revealing New Narratives of Women in Las Vegas.” In Finding Women in the Sources. Eds. Nupur Chauduri, Sherry Katz, and Elizabeth Perry (Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press, 2010), 177-191. This collection won the Barbara “Penny” Kanner Prize of the Western Association of Women Historians.
- Claudine Williams: A Life in Gaming, interview and editing by Joanne L. Goodwin (Las Vegas, NV: Women’s Research Institute of Nevada, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2007).
- “From the Ground Up: building archival sources for the history of women in Las Vegas,” Nevada Historical Society Quarterly (Winter 2006): 263-276.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United States
- Expertise by Geography
- Expertise by Chronology
- 8, 9
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Libraries & Archives, Public History, Women