- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- NY New York
- Website URL
- authoritarianism, fascism, dictators, propaganda, Donald Trump, Italian politics
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- I am available at firstname.lastname@example.org
- About Me
I regularly give phone, email, and television interviews to American and international journalists and speak on podcasts and radio shows on Trump’s authoritarian playbook – I predicted what he would do in his first year of power in CNN and Atlantic articles – on authoritarian leaders in general, on media and propaganda and on the resurgence of right-wing politics in Italy and elsewhere.
I write frequently for CNN, regularly the Washington Post and occasionally for The New Yorker and other outlets on these subjects.
- Recent Publications
“Trump’s No Madman, He Knows Exactly What He’s Doing,” in John Gardner, ed.,Rocket Man: Nuclear Madness and the Mind of Donald Trump (Chiron: 2018),
“Moving Images: Realism and Propaganda,” in Italia 1918-1943. Lo Stato dell’Arte, ed. Germano Celant (Milan: Fondazione Prada, 2018), pp.420-425.
Op-eds so far in 2018:
“The Minnesota Raccoon’s Journey Has a Deeper Resonance,” CNN.com, June 13, 2018. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/opinions/raccoon-migrant-trump-america-ben-ghiat/index.html
“Trump’s Tweets: Why Is He Always Shouting?” CNN.com, April 23, 2018. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/opinions/trumps-tweets-why-is-he-always-shouting-ben-ghiat/index.htmlgmail
“The Whiteness of Trump’s White House Interns is Absurd…and Speaks Volumes,”CNN.com, April 2, 2018. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/02/opinions/white-house-interns-so-white-ben-ghiat/index.html
“In Italy’s Elections, the Fascists Did Scarily Well,” CNN.com, March 8, 2018.https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/opinions/italian-elections-future-opinion-ben-ghiat/index.html
“Americans Don’t Want Authoritarian Spectacles, But Trump Does,” CNN.com, February 8, 2018. https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/08/opinions/americans-dont-want-authoritarian-spectacles-ghiat-opinion/index.html
“This Message Keeps the Global #MeToo Movement Alive,” CNN.com, May 1, 2018.
“RBG Revolutionized the World for Women. We Should Listen to Her,” CNN.com, January 23, 2018. https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/23/opinions/ruth-bader-ginsburg-sundance-film-festival-ben-ghiat-opinion/
- Media Coverage
- See above. May-June 2018 interviews:Ashley Parker, “Going it Alone,” Washington Post, June 11, 2018; Matt Kwong, “Trump Muses About Pardoning Himself, Experts on Authoritarianism are Horrified,” CBC News, June 5, 2018; “Background Briefing with
- Country Focus
- Italy, America
- Expertise by Geography
- Mediterranean, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Art & Architectural History, Colonialism, Gender, Holocaust & Nazi Persecution, Public History, World War I, World War II