- First Name
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- University of Portsmouth
- Website URL
- theatre history, musical theatre history, American theatre, global theatre history
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
- I am a Senior Lecturer in Musical Theatre at the University of Portsmouth in the UK. My articles have appeared in American Theatre, Studies in Musical Theatre, The Journal of American Drama and Theatre, New England Theatre Journal, and Theatre Research International, and I am preparing a monograph investigating the making and marketing of long-running Broadway musicals. With William A. Everett, I edited The Palgrave Handbook of Musical Theatre Producers, published in 2017. I am the International Secretary of the American Theatre and Drama Society.
- Recent Publications
“The Sound of Musicals: Japan and Korea have embraced and nurtured Western-style musicals. Can China be far behind?”American Theatre May/June (2017): 28-31, 58.http://www.americantheatre.org/2017/04/25/the-sound-of-musicals-in-china/
“Tonight I will bewitch the world’: the European musical” (with Judith Sebesta). The Cambridge Companion to the Musical, 3rdedition(William A. Everett and Paul Laird, editors, 2017: 339-355).
“Connection in an Isolating Age: Looking Back on Twenty Years of Engaging Audiences and Marketing Musical Theatre Online.”iBroadway: Musical Theatre in the Digital Age (Jessica Hillman-McCord, editor, Palgrave Macmillan, 2017: 17-42).
“Off Off Off Off Broadway: Musical Development Out of Town and Regionally.”The Methuen Critical Companion to the American Stage Musical(Elizabeth Wollman, editor, 2017: 214-225)
“Roth and Son: Daryl Roth and Jordan Roth on Broadway.”The Palgrave Handbook of Musical Theatre Producers (MacDonald and Everett, editors, 2017: 487-496).
“Trading Globally in Austrian History: Vereinigte Bühnen Wien.”The Palgrave Handbook of Musical Theatre Producers (MacDonald and Everett, editors, 2017: 343-349).
“Le pouvoir de consommer: le spectateur comme enjeu et acteur de l’économie du théâtre musical.” L’Annuaire théâtral 58 (2015): 137-150.https://goo.gl/SXmmNm
“The (Long-Running) Path Unwinding: How Directors and Choreographers Maintain Long-running Musicals on Broadway and Beyond.” SDC Journal (inaugural article, peer-reviewed section), Fall 2015: 42-46, 50-51.https://goo.gl/Z2FGpO
“Geen Grenzen Meer: An American Musical’s Unlimited Border Crossing” (co-authored with Myrte Halman). Theatre Research International 39.3 (2014): 198-216.https://goo.gl/SPNgdi
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United States
- Expertise by Geography
- Asia, China, East Asia, Germany, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Capitalism, Diplomacy, Gender, Race, Urban History, Women