- First Name
- Last Name
- Carlow College St Patrick’s and Trinity College, Dublin
- Website URL
- 1918-19 influenza pandemic, oral history, Wuhan corona virus, disease history, health, measles, infectious diseases of childhood, vaccination resistance, Irish Protestantism, newspaper history, gender in newspaper industry, Irish history, history of work, medical doctors' working lives.
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
- I’m a social historian of disease. My PhD on the 1918-19 influenza pandemic in Ireland introduced me to people who talked not only about the ‘Spanish’ flu but about the other diseases which touched so many families in the first half of the twentieth century, in all parts of the world. As the Wuhan corona virus unfolds, the parallels fascinate me. Now, with vaccination resistance growing, as people forget the damage diseases like measles once did, I interview people whose lives have been altered by disease, to tell their stories to a wider audience. My work has both a local and a regional or global context, as little pictures of the individual human experience can add to the bigger pictures, adding life to statistical evidence. My book, Stacking the Coffins, Influenza War and Revolution in Ireland, 1918-1919, was published by Manchester University Press in 2018, and was named a Choice Reviews Outstanding Academic Titles 2019. I currently work as European history lecturer at Carlow College. I’m also interested in southern Irish Protestant history, and co-edited (with Ian d’Alton) Protestant and Irish, the minority’s search for place in independent Ireland, from Cork University Press in 2019. I am also interested in working lives in the newspaper industry and in medicine.
- Recent Publications
Stacking the Coffins, Influenza, War and Revolution in Ireland, 1918-19 (Manchester University Press, 2018):
Protestant and Irish, the minority’s search for place in independent Ireland, co-edited with Dr Ian d’Alton (Cork University Press 2019).
Article in Irish Times supplement on Ireland 1918:
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- British Isles, Ireland, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, Modern, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Children & Youth, Economic History, Family, Gender, Local & Regional, Medicine, Politics, Public History, Rebellion & Revolution, Religion, Rural & Agrarian History, Science, Urban History, Women, World War I