- First Name
- Last Name
- von Bismarck
- Independent Scholar
- Website URL
- Britain, Persian Gulf, Empire, Oil, Decolonization, European Integration, Thatcher, Delors, Brexit, Anglo-German relations
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
My main interest is Britain’s past and present role in the world. My first book explored the connections between oil and imperialism in the Persian Gulf during the 1960s. With my new research project about Margaret Thatcher and Jacques Delors, I have moved on from the empire to another contentious topic of Britain’s history: its relationship with the European Union. Hence my great interest in Brexit. I have addresses academic and non-academic audiences around the world and acted as a commentator in the press and on television. I speak German, English, French and Italian.
I received my PhD from Humboldt-University in Berlin in 2011 and have won grants and scholarships from a number of international sources, including the Konrad-Adenauer-Foundation, the Andrew W. Mellon-Foundation and the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations. In 2018, I was elected a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (FRHistS).
- Recent Publications
- Personal Impressions and Analysis of the 68th Anglo-German Königswinter Conference. in: Deutsch-Britische Gesellschaft, April 2018.
- War metaphors have no place in the Brexit debate. in: The Times Red Box, 13 November 2017.
- Lost in Translation: Brexit and the Anglo-German relationship. in: History & Policy, 4 May 2016.
- Britian’s Return East of Suez. A historical perspective. in: The Global and Imperial Forum, 10 May 2016.
- Book: British Policy in the Persian Gulf 1961-68. Conceptions of Informal Empire (Palgrave Macmillan 2013).
Please consult my homepage for links to my articles and reviews of my book.
- Media Coverage
- The Times Red Box, Spiegel Online, The Local, Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen (ZDF)
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- British Isles, Middle East, United Kingdom, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Diplomacy