- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- TX Texas
- Silent Film Sound and Music Archive
- Website URL
- music, film music, silent film, silent film music, television music, Shakespeare, Shakespeare on film, women in music, twentieth century music, contemporary music, American music, gender, music and the supernatural
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
My work focuses on women and music in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries; and music and screen history, particularly music and adaptations of Shakespeare. I am the author of five scholarly books and numerous book chapters and articles, and my work has appeared in The Oxford Handbook of Music and Disability Studies, Gender and Song in Early Modern England, This Rough Magic, Upstart Crow, Early Modern Studies Journal, The Journal of Historical Biography, The Journal of Musicological Research, and Current Musicology. I am the winner of several scholarly awards and prizes, including the Rudolph Ganz Long-Term Fellowship at the Newberry Library, a Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowship, an American Music Research Center Fellowship, the inaugural Judith Tick Fellowship from the Society for American Music, and Yale University’s Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Thornton Wilder Fellowship in Wilder Studies. I am the founder and Executive Director of the Silent Film Sound and Music Archive.
- Recent Publications
Music for Silent Film: A Guide to North American Resources, A-R Editions and the Music Library Association Index and Bibliography Series, 2016.
Louise Talma: A Life in Composition, Ashgate Publishing, 2014.
“Using Resources for Silent Film Music,” Fontes Artis Musicae 63 (October-December 2016), 259-76.
“History Faux/Real: the 2006 Ur-Hamlet,” kadar koli 10.
“The Past is a Foreign Country: World Musics Signifying History in/and Elizabethan Drama,” Borrowers and Lenders 11, no. 1.
“Listening to the Gaoler’s Daughter,” Cerae 3.
- Media Coverage
- BBC Radio 3, Newberry Library podcast, Her Film Project
- Country Focus
- USA, UK, France
- Expertise by Geography
- United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Early Modern, Modern, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Art & Architectural History, Gender, Material Culture, Public History, Women