- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- Shawnee State University
- Website URL
- History; Asian Studies; Asian American Studies; World History; History of Religions; Asian Religions; Hinduism and Jainism; History of India; Gender Studies; Gandhi and Modern India
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- email@example.com twitter handle: @ProfVemsani
- About Me
Lavanya Vemsani is Distinguished Professor of History and Religious Studies at Shawnee State University, Portsmouth, OH. She holds two doctorates in History (University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India) and Religious Studies (McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada). She is the author of two books: Krishna in History, Thought, and Culture: Encyclopedia of the Hindu Lord of Many Names and Hindu and Jain Mythology of Balarama and Editor of Modern Hinduism in Text and Context. She is the author of a number articles on History and Religions of India. She is the Editor-in-Chief of American Journal of Indic Studies, and Associate Editor of Journal of South Asian Religious History. Her book on Indian history, India, A New History, is currently in press slated for publication in 2019. Vemsani is Vice-President/President-Elect of Ohio Academy of History (2018).
- Recent Publications
- Modern Hinduism in Text and Context. New York: Bloomsbury, 2018.
- Krishna in History, Thought, and Culture: An Encyclopedia of the Hindu Lord of Many Names, ABC-Clio, 2016.
In Peer Reviewed Publications
- Narasimha, Lord of Transitions, Transformations, and Theater: God and Evil in Hindu Theology and Practice,” Journal of Hindu-Christian Studies Fall, 2016.
- Narasimha Manthra as a Connection Between Classical, Regional Devotional and Arttistic, and Ritualistic Traditions: Tradition and Practice in Andhra Pradesh,” Journal of Vaishnava Studies Vol.24. No. 2 (Spring, 2016): 147-161.
- “Andal is our Radha,” History and Practice of Hinduism in the Story of Andal in the Telugu Amuktamalyada of Krishnadevaraya, Vijayanagara Emperor” International Journal of Dharma and Hindu Studies Vol 1. No. 2 (Jan, 2016): 47-62.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- Asia, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- Ancient, 5, 8, 9
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Gender, Higher Ed, Migration & Immigration