- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- CA California
- University of California Davis
- Website URL
- Middle East, Syria, Lebanon, migration, diaspora, displacement, refugees, travel restriction, deportation, Islamophobia, ethnicity and nationalism, labor migration
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am a historian of Middle Eastern migration, specializing in migrant/diasporic politics in modern Syria and Lebanon, and Assistant Professor of history at the University of California, Davis. My recent publications focus in on Arab migration to the Americas (both North and Latin America), but my larger scholarly interests include migrant smuggling, detention/deportation, border construction and the production of “illegal” immigration, and refugees in/from the Arab Middle East, particularly Syria.
My first book, Between the Ottomans and the Entente, is a history of the First World War from the perspective of the Syrian diaspora. It was published by Oxford University Press in 2019, and was recently featured on New Books Network and the Ottoman History Podcast. I am currently researching a new project on Arab labor migration in Brazil.
- Recent Publications
(Selected: please see my website for full-text):
“Arab Labor Migration to the Americas, 1870-1930.” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of American History. May 2019.
“An archaeology of rare books in Arab Atlantic history.” Journal of American Ethnic History 37, no 3 (Spring 2018): 77-83.
“Former Ottomans in the ranks: pro-Entente military recruitment among Syrians in the Americas, 1916–1918.” Journal of Global History 11, no. 1 (March 2016): 88-112.
“Sound Minds in Sound Bodies: Transnational Philanthropy and Patriotic Masculinity in al-Nadi al-Homsi and Syrian Brazil, 1920–1932.” International Journal of Middle East Studies 46, no. 2 (May 2014): 259-283.
“Transnational Modes and Media: The Syrian Press in the Mahjar and Emigrant Activism during World War I.” Mashriq & Mahjar: Journal of Middle East Migration Studies 1, no. 1 (Spring 2013): 32-57.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Syria, Lebanon, Brazil, United States, Argentina
- Expertise by Geography
- Atlantic, Latin America, Mediterranean, Middle East, North America, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- Modern, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Gender, Human Rights, Labor, Migration & Immigration, Race, World War I