- First Name
- Last Name
- Thelin Blackowski
- United States
- NJ New Jersey
- Drew University, Madison, NJ
- Website URL
- fashion history, victorian history, graphic novels, popular culture, doll history, social media, web design, knitting history, material culture, visual culture, dress history, clothing, museum studies, fashion conservation
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- other credentials
- About Me
I am currently a PhD student in History and Culture at Drew University in Madison, New Jersey and have previously received an MA in Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice with a concentration in Textile Conservation from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, New York and an MA in Theatre with a concentration in Arts Management from Montclair State University in Montclair, New Jersey. My undergraduate degree is a BA in Fine Arts with a concentration in Art History, also from Montclair State University.
- Recent Publications
Contributed ten entries for:
Kindell, Alexandra, editor. The World of Antebellum America: A Daily Life Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO, 2018.
Thelin, Alexandra. Review of Sneakers: Fashion, Gender, and Subculture, by Yuniya Kawamura. The Journal of Popular Culture 50, no. 2, April 27, 2017, 415-417.
Thelin, Alexandra. Review of Social Networking: Redefining Communication in the Digital Age, edited by Anastacia Kurylo and Tatyana Dumova. Studies in Popular Culture 39, no. 2, Spring 2017, 95-97.
Thelin, Alexandra. Conservation treatment and re-creation of an eighteenth century calash bonnet. New York, New York: Fashion Institute of Technology, 2008.
- “Paul Poiret’s Designs are Aesthetically Pleasing: Finding the Connection in Dress Between the Aesthetic Movement and Early 20thy Century Fashion.” Mid-Atlantic Popular and American Culture Association, 27th Annual Conference. November 5, 2016. Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- “Just Say Yes? The Use of Drugs Depicted in Alice in Wonderland and the Victorian Era.” 2016 Annual East Coast Graduate Liberal Studies Symposium. June 11, 2016. Richard Stockton University, Galloway Township, New Jersey.
- “Communicating with our campus: The Monday Morning View.” New Jersey Communication Association. April 2012. Monmouth University, West Long Branch, New Jersey.
- “The American Diner.” Mid-Atlantic Popular and American Culture Association, October 2011. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- “Fashion in Royal Weddings.” New Jersey Communication Association, Annual Conference. March 2008. Marymount Manhattan College, New York, New York.
- “Godey’s Lady’s Book: The First Fashion Magazine.” Eastern Communication Association, Annual Convention. April 2006. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Thelin, Alexandra. “The best LinkedIn profile tips for creative job seekers.” Flywheel: The Layout. May 29, 2018. https://getflywheel.com/layout/best-linkedin-profile-tips-for-creative-job-seekers/.
Thelin, Alexandra. “When a working relationship goes bad: How to fire a client (nicely).” Flywheel: The Layout. July 6, 2016. https://getflywheel.com/layout/when-a-working-relationship-goes-bad-how-to-fire-a-client-nicely/.
Thelin, Alexandra. “The power of color and strong color palettes.” Flywheel: The Layout. May 23, 2016. https://getflywheel.com/layout/the-power-of-color-and-strong-color-palettes/.
Thelin, Alexandra. “Why you should create your own commerce site instead of relying on Etsy.” Flywheel: The Layout. May 5, 2016. https://getflywheel.com/layout/why-you-should-create-your-own-ecommerce-site-instead-of-relying-on-etsy/.
Thelin, Alexandra. “7 things that should be in every designer’s toolkit.” Flywheel: The Layout. April 4, 2016. https://getflywheel.com/layout/seven-things-that-should-be-in-every-designers-toolkit/.
Thelin, Alexandra. “How to add a ‘PayPal Donate Button’ in WordPress.” Flywheel: The Layout. October 13, 2015. https://getflywheel.com/layout/how-to-add-a-paypal-donate-button-in-wordpress/.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United States of America
- Expertise by Geography
- British Isles, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 18th century, 19th century, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Children & Youth, Higher Ed, Material Culture