- First Name
- Last Name
- Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
- Website URL
- Women, medias, gender, history, Quebec, Canada, newspapers, communication, mass medias, 20th century
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
- As a feminist historian, I think it’s important to get out of academic settings to raise awareness of issues related to women’s history. PhD history candidate at Université du Québec à Montréal, member of the Réseau Québécois en études féministes (RéQEF) and coordinator of the section «Où sont les femmes/ Where are the women?» of HistoireEngagée, I also work at Hydro-Quebec, the most important hydroelectric company in Canada, in the heritage department. I had the opportunity to lead projects in women history in the entreprise and implement oral history methodology to record their otherwise forgotten stories.
Under the direction of Magda Fahrni, specialist of Women history in Canada at UQAM and Josette Brun , specialist in women’s and feminist media in Quebec, my doctoral researches focus on women journalists by conducting a comparative study between Montreal and Toronto dailies between 1950 and 1980.My research aims to show the importance of considering gender as an organizing principle in mainstream dailies and to historicize the dynamics of sexual powers in the media. I also wish to make up for the invisibilisation of the contribution of women journalists to revisit journalistic paradigms ” masculine”.
- Recent Publications
___________, [Review]. Idola Saint-Jean. L’insoumise. Marie Lavigne and Michèle Stanton-Jean. HistoireEngagée, March 2018, (Online) :http://histoireengagee.ca/category/collaboratrices/marilou-tanguay/.
Marilou Tanguay, Femmes journalistes et sujets «féminins» : Le Devoir au prisme du genre, master (history), Université de Montréal, 2017.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- North America
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Emancipation, Gender, Pedagogy, Public History, Women