- First Name
- Last Name
- Grunwald-Spier MBE
- United Kingdom
- University of Sheffield, Oxford Brookes University
- Website URL
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- I have media experience. I live in London.
- other credentials
- About Me
I was born in Budapest in July 1944 and was in the Budapest Ghetto with my mother. I was 6 months old when the Russians liberated us in January 1945. I am therefore one of the youngest Holocaust survivors. We came to England in May 1947.
In my fifties I did an MA in Holocaust Studies at Sheffield University which led to me writing my books and giving talks both in the UK and abroad in my pensioner years. I have had three books published on the Holocaust as detailed below.
I have received an MBE from the Queen for my work on the Holocaust in 1916 and an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Sheffield University in January 2018. I received a second Honorary Doctorate (of Arts) from Oxford Brookes University on 22 June 2018. Accordingly I can be referred to as Dr. Grunwald-Spier in the context of my work on the Holocaust.
I am used to speaking to all sorts of groups, to chairing events, to being interviewed and to being part of a panel.
- Recent Publications
Women’s Experiences in the Holocaust: In Their Own Words – published in UK in January 2018 by Amberley Publishing. Paperback now available
Who Betrayed The Jews? The Realities of Nazi Persecution in the Holocaust – published in paperback in August 2017 by Amberley Publishing. E book available.
The Other Schindlers: Why Some People Chose to Save Jews in the Holocaust – published by The History Press in April 2010. Translated into Danish, Brazilian-Portuguese and Romanian.
I am planning a fourth book which will be a family memoir for my 3 sons and my grandchildren.
- Media Coverage
- Experience of radio and TV interviews, press profiles, chairing events and being part of a panel.
- Country Focus
- Nazi-occupied Europe and North Africa
- Expertise by Geography
- Africa, British Isles, Eastern Europe, France, Germany, Mediterranean, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Expertise by Topic
- Holocaust & Nazi Persecution, Local & Regional, Race, Women, World War II