- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- OR Oregon
- Central Oregon Comm College
- Website URL
- Algeria, France, Jews, Muslims, Holocaust, World History, sex, sexuality
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I’m a historian, professor, writer, and editor. My field is modern European history, with a focus on Jewish history and French colonial history. My principal research project focuses on the Jewish population of Algeria in the 20th century. I teach modern world history, including such topics as the history of the Islamic world, the history of sexuality, and the history of the Holocaust and genocide.
- Recent Publications
“By Sentiment and By Status: Remembering Crémieux during the Franco-Algerian War,” in French Politics, Culture and Society. (Spring 2018)
“A Jewish-Muslim Battle on the World Stage: Constantine, Algeria 1956” in The Jews of Modern France: Images and Identities, Nadia Malinovich and Zvi Kaplan, eds., September 2016.
“Des Juifs Français Contre la Torture en Algérie” in Archives Juives, March 2015, pp. 109-127.
“From Childhood to Old Age in twenty-four years: The Ecole Maïmonide in Algiers, 1940-1964,” From Catalonia to the Caribbean: The Sephardic Orbit from Medieval to Modern Times: Essays in Honor of Jane. S. Gerber. eds. Federica Francesconi, Stanley Mirvis, and Brian Smollett (Leiden: Brill, 2018).
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- Africa, France, Middle East, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- Modern, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Emancipation, Holocaust & Nazi Persecution, Migration & Immigration, Politics, Rebellion & Revolution, Religion, Sexuality, World War II