- First Name
- J. Haley
- Last Name
- United States
- SC South Carolina
- Savannah River Archaeological Research Program
- Website URL
- Artifact curation, cultural resources management, historic preservation, architectural history, public history, 20th century farmsites, Rosenwald Schools, Clemson Plan Schools, early 20th century rural schoolhouses, South Carolina schoolhouses, historic schoolhouse sites
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- other credentials
- About Me
J. Haley Grant is the Assistant Curator for the Savannah River Archaeological Research Program (SRARP).
SRARP serves to provide the Department of Energy with recommendations concerning the cultural resources within the Savannah River Site.
Ms. Grant specializes in South Carolina’s historic rural built environments of the early 20th century, with a focus on Rosenwald and Clemson Plan schools.
Ms. Grant serves on the Confederation of South Carolina Local Historical Societies’ executive council as the District 5 Representative for Aiken, Bamberg, Barnwell, Calhoun, and Orangeburg Counties.
M.A. in public history with historic preservation concentration, University of South Carolina.
Certificate of Graduate Study in historical archaeology and cultural resources management, University of South Carolina.
- Recent Publications
- Upcoming: The Bates-Foreman Cemetery Project: Cold War Era Grave Re-interments in Jackson, South Carolina. Session at the South Carolina Historic Preservation Conference, Columbia, South Carolina, April 2020.
- Rural World Revealed: Remnants of the Pre-Savannah River Site Built Environment. Poster presentation at the 2018 Southeastern Archaeology Conference, Augusta, Georgia, November 2018.
- Rosenwald Schools and the George Fish School. Session at the 2018 Landmark Conference, Confederation of South Carolina Local Historical Societies, Fort Mill, South Carolina, April 2018.
- From Mart to Art: A Repurposed Life. Preservation consultant in documentary produced by Savannah River Archaeological Research Program, 2018.
- South Carolina National Guard and Warrenville Armory. Presentation to the Horse Creek Historical Society, Graniteville, South Carolina, May 2017.
- Eligibility Determination of the Lancaster Armory Complex, Lancaster, South Carolina and Eligibility Determination of Four Buildings at TAG Complex, Columbia, South Carolina. South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of South Carolina, for South Carolina Army National Guard, December 2016.
- Return to Hawthorne: Case Study of a Forgotten Community. Session for the South Carolina Historic Preservation Conference, Columbia, South Carolina, April 2016.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United States of America
- Expertise by Geography
- United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Art & Architectural History, Libraries & Archives, Local & Regional, Material Culture, Public History, Race, Rural & Agrarian History, Slavery