- First Name
- Karen Patricia
- Last Name
- United Kingdom
- University of Oxford
- Website URL
- Culture Wars, conservatism, liberalism, populism, elitism, Donald Trump, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, John Kennedy, arts policy, National Endowment for the Arts, NASA, space policy, Apollo program, the Moon landings
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- I'm available for consultation and research work, plus films, documentaries, and radio. I don't do election coverage.
- About Me
I’m a Senior Research Fellow at the Rothermere American Institute, University of Oxford.
I specialize in 20th and 21st century United States political history.
- Recent Publications
‘Daniel Patrick Moynihan and his ‘Guiding Principles for Federal Architecture’ (1962)’, P.S.: Political Science & Politics, 50:2 (April 2017), 384–387. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049096516002845
‘Artistic Scarcity in an Age of Material Abundance: President Lyndon Johnson, the National Endowment for the Arts, and Great Society Liberalism’, European Journal of American Culture, 36:1 (March 2017), 5–22. https://doi.org/10.1386/ejac.36.1.5_1
‘Conservative Artists in the 1950s: The Limits to Success’, in, Tom Packer and Philip Davies (eds.), Rethinking American Conservatism (Institute for the Study of the Americas, London, 2020). Word count: c. 12,000. Forthcoming.
‘Battles Over the Biblical Epic: Hollywood, Christians, and the American Culture Wars’, in, Wickham Clayton (ed.), The Bible Onscreen in the New Millennium: New Heart and New Spirit (Manchester University Press, Manchester, 2020), 23-35.
‘Roger L. Stevens: The Great Facilitator’, in, William A. Everett and Laura MacDonald (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Musical Theatre Producers (Palgrave Macmillan, New York, 2017), 207–215. https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-43308-4_21
‘New Directions in the History of Conservative Women’, Journal of Women’s History, 29:2 (Summer 2017), 165–172. https://doi.org/10.1353/jowh.2017.0026
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United States
- Expertise by Geography
- United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- American Presidents, Art & Architectural History, Government, Material Culture, Museums, Politics, Public History, Science