- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- MA Massachusetts
- Bentley University
- Website URL
- Medicine in China, Chinese medicine, missionary medicine, drugs trades, history of pharmacy, medicine and empire, imperial medicine, women and colonial medicine, colonial science, imperial science, science and society
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
Trained in medical history, plant biology, and Chinese medicine. Expert in the history of scientific and medical exchanges between Asia and the West, both the export of modern medicine to the colonies and East Asia, especially China, and the modernization and westernization of Chinese medicine since the 19th century.
Currently researching the modern history of acupuncture world-wide.
Also interested in issues of intellectual property and plant-derived drugs and patents.
- Recent Publications
Book, single author : The Making of Modern Chinese Medicine. University of British Columbia Press, 2014. Paperback published by University of Hawai’i Press, 2015.
- Finalist for the International Congress of Asian Scholars’ 2015 Book Prize.
Book translator: Traditional Chinese Medicine: Heritage and Adaptation by Paul U. Unschuld, translated by Bridie J. Andrews. New York, Columbia University Press, 2018.
Editor: Bridie J. Andrews, guest editor, East Asian Science, Technology and Medicine, special issues #41 and #42 on “The History of Chinese Medicine,” 2016.
Bridie J. Andrews and Mary B. Bullock, editors. Medical Transitions in Twentieth-Century China. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2014.
Sutphen, Mary P., and Bridie J. Andrews, editors. Medicine and Identity in the Colonies. London: Routledge, 2003.
Cunningham, Andrew R. and Bridie J. Andrews, editors. Western Medicine as Contested Knowledge. Studies in Imperialism. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1997. Commended by the British Medical Association, featured on BBC Radio 4’s “Woman’s Hour”.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- China and its trading partners. Sino-western scientific and medical exchanges.
- Expertise by Geography
- China, East Asia
- Expertise by Chronology
- 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Colonialism, Law, Material Culture, Medicine, Religion, Science, Women