- First Name
- Last Name
- United States
- IN Indiana
- Indiana University Bloomington
- Website URL
- gender, Europe, twentieth century, citizenship, memory, eugenics, film, feminism, communism, title IX, sexual misconduct
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I am an expert in 20th century history of Eastern Europe with a focus on eugenics, war and memory, and gender and communism, as well as an expert in gender studies with a focus on comparative gender regimes in the 20th century, looking at questions of gender justice in relation to citizenship, birth control, sexual violence, and kinship. I teach at Indiana University in history and gender studies and 4 years ago I founded the School for Global and International Studies there. I have served as an expert on political asylum cases for people from Eastern Europe. I have also served on Romania’s highest board for academic accreditation.
- Recent Publications
The Birth of Democratic Citizenship: Women in Modern Romania, with Mihaela Miroiu. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2018, .
The Century of Women: How Women Have Changed the World since 1900, Lanham: Roman and Littlefield, 2018.
The Global West, co-author with Frank Kidner et al. Belmont, CA: Cengage, 2017.
Gendering Modernism. A Historical Rappraisal of the Canon. London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2017.
“Prostitution in Romania: Bucharest and Constanta,” Guide to the League of Nations Archives on Human Trafficking, Jean-Michel Chaumont, Paul Servais, and Magaly Rodriguez, eds., 2017.
“Intimate Politics under Communism in Romania,” in Catherine Baker, ed., Gender in Twentieth-Century Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2016.
“The Economics of Citizenship: Gender Regimes and Property Rights in Romania in the 20th Century,” In Anne Epstein and Rachel Fuchs, eds., Gender and Citizenship in Historical and Transnational Perspective. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2016.
Heroes and Victims: Remembering War in Twentieth-Century Romania, Indiana University Press, 2009.
- Media Coverage
- Ziare.com, Revistatango.ro, Observator Cultural, LaPunkt.ro, Scena9.ro, Radio Romania International, C-Span, Digi 24, China Radio International, Al-Jazeera, Radio Romania Cultural Actualitati, Radio Romania Actualitati, History Channel, “Global View,
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- Eastern Europe, Russia, United States, Western Europe
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, Modern, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Gender, Government, Higher Ed, Law, Medicine, Migration & Immigration, Museums, Pedagogy, Politics, Public History, Race, Rebellion & Revolution, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Women