- First Name
- Last Name
- Cracknell and Lonergan Architects
- Website URL
- architectural history theory, nineteenth and twentieth century architectural urban history and theory; Asian and Indian architectural history and theory,
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
Dr Anuradha Chatterjee is an academic, author, and designer based in Sydney, Australia (Dip.Arch, TVB School of Habitat Studies, New Delhi; M.Arch History and Theory and PhD, University of New South Wales). Anu has taught in Australia, China, and India. Anu is the author of three books, 1. Surface and Deep Histories: Critiques, and Practices in Art, Architecture, and Design, Cambridge Scholars Publishing; 2. Built, Unbuilt, and Imagined Sydney, Copal Publishing; and more recently 3. John Ruskin and the Fabric of Architecture, Routledge, which has been endorsed by scholars of international standing. Anu’s books have been supported by prestigious research grants like the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art: Publication Grant (Author) and Research Support Grant; Stones of Venice Grant, Ruskin Library, Lancaster University.
Anu’s recent appointments include being 1) Elected as Companion to The Guild of St George, where she is one of two Australian appointees; 2) Appointed as the Area Editor for Asia for the Bloomsbury Global Encyclopaedia of Women in Architecture, under the chief editorship of Karen Burns and Lori Brown; 3) Appointed to the Editorial Board, Cambridge Scholars Publishing; and 4) Appointed as Affiliate Researcher, Centre for Architecture Theory Criticism History at University of Queensland. Currently, Anu is the Senior Architectural Researcher & Heritage Advisor at Cracknell & Lonergan Architects in Sydney. Her current research projects/interests include 1) Digital Humanities Paradigms in Architectural History; 2) Terrain Vague and Alternative Urbanities; 3) Diversity in Gender Debates in Architecture.
- Recent Publications
- Anuradha Chatterjee, ed. Surface and Deep Histories: Critiques, and Practices in Art, Architecture, and Design, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018, Paperback, ISBN-13:978-1-5275-0564-3; ISBN-10:1-5275-0564-2.
- Anuradha Chatterjee, John Ruskin and the Fabric of Architecture, London, Routledge, 2017, ISBN-13: 978-1472449436; ISBN-10: 1472449436.
- Anuradha Chatterjee, Built, Unbuilt, and Imagined Sydney, New Delhi: COPAL Publishing, 2015, ISBN 9788 1924 73386, http://www.copalpublishing.com/Book.aspx?bid=11.
- Anuradha Chatterjee, ed. Surface and Deep Histories: Critiques, and Practices in Art, Architecture, and Design, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014, Hardback, ISBN-13:978-1-4438-5436-8, ISBN-10:1-4438-5436-0, http://www.c-s-p.org/surface-and-deep-histories-7; http://www.c-s-p.org/download/sample/60563.
- Anuradha Chatterjee, “Between Colour and Pattern: Ruskin’s Ambivalent Theory of Constructional Polychromy.” Interstices: A Journal of Architecture and Related Arts 18 (2017): 11-23, http://interstices.aut.ac.nz/ijara/index.php/ijara/article/viewFile/247/412
- Anuradha Chatterjee, “Ruskin and Beyond: Vital Surfaces and the Making of Architecture,” in Surfaces: Transformations of Body, Materials and Earth (Routledge Studies in Anthropology),
edited by Mike Anusas and Cris Simonetti. London; New York: Routledge, 2017, ISBN-13: 978-1138126299, ISBN-10: 1138126292, http://188.8.131.52/books/details/9781138126299/.
- Anuradha Chatterjee, “Ungraspable Criticality: Surface in Architecture,” in The Routledge Companion to Criticality in Art, Architecture and Design, edited by Chris Brisbin and Myra Thiessen. London; New York: Routledge, 2017, ISBN: 978-1-13-818923-2, http://184.108.40.206/books/details/9781138189232/.
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- United Kingdom, Australia, India
- Expertise by Geography
- Australia, Asia, India, United Kingdom
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, Early Modern, Modern, 20th century
- Expertise by Topic
- Environment, Art