- First Name
- Jessica Marie
- Last Name
- United States
- MD Maryland
- Johns Hopkins University
- Website URL
- history, slavery, gender, social justice, new orleans, caribbean, united states, african diaspora, afrolatinidad, colonialism, digital media, digital humanities, social media
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
(Read most recent bio at jmjohnso.com)
Johnson is a historian of Atlantic slavery and the Atlantic African diaspora. She is the author of Practicing Freedom: Black Women, Intimacy, and Kinship in New Orleans Atlantic World (University of Pennsylvania Press, under contract).
She is also co-editor with Dr. Mark Anthony Neal (Duke University) of Black Code: A Special Issue of the Black Scholar (2017).
Her work has appeared in Slavery & Abolition, The Black Scholar, Meridians: Feminism, Race and Transnationalism, Debates in the Digital Humanities, Bitch Magazine, Black Perspectives (AAIHS), and Post-Colonial Digital Humanities (DHPoco).
She is founding curatrix at African Diaspora, Ph.D. or #ADPhD (africandiasporaphd.com), co-organizer of the Queering Slavery Working Group with Dr. Vanessa Holden (University of Kentucky), a member of the LatiNegrxs Project (lati-negros.tumblr.com), and a Digital Alchemist at the Center for Solutions to Online Violence (http://femtechnet.org/csov/).
As a historian, Johnson researches black diasporic freedom struggles from slavery to emancipation. As a digital humanist, Johnson explores ways digital and social media disseminate and create historical narratives, in particular, comparative histories of slavery and people of African descent.
She is the recipient of research fellowships and awards from the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, the Gilder-Lehrman Institute, and the Richards Civil War Era Center and Africana Research Center at the Pennsylvania State University, and the Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in the Program in African American History at the Library Company of Philadelphia.
Johnson tweets as @jmjafrx.
- Recent Publications
….or follow dh.jmjafrx.com for updates!
- Media Coverage
- Country Focus
- Expertise by Geography
- Atlantic, Caribbean, North America, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 18th century, 19th century, Early Modern, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- American Civil War, American Revolution, American Founding Era, Colonialism, Emancipation, Family, Gender, Politics, Race, Rebellion & Revolution, Sexuality, Sexual Violence, Slavery, Technology, Women