- First Name
- Last Name
- FL Florida
- Jacksonville University
- Website URL
- Energy, Middle East, Oil, Foreign Policy, International Relations, Business, Government, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Energy Policy, Aramco, Oil Companies
- Media Contact
- Additional Contact Information
- About Me
I earned an A.B. magna cum laude in history from Princeton University with specialties in Near Eastern studies and creative writing. As a graduate student at Boston University, I studied the American and Middle-Eastern energy industries with both an economist and a foreign relations specialist. I have conducted significant research on geopolitics and energy markets at the American Heritage Center at the University of Wyoming, the National Archives, the British Petroleum Archives, and the British National Archives. My dissertation was entitled, “The United States, Great Britain and the Middle-Eastern Oil Industry, 1945-1960.” I currently teach Middle East history and policy at Jacksonville University and am the president of Transversal Consulting. I write weekly columns on geopolitics and the energy markets at investing.com, Forbes online and at Arab News. I appear regularly on radio and television to discuss issues in energy, oil, US energy policy and geopolitical issues in the Middle East and have been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and LA Times, among others. My recent book, “Saudi, Inc.” was published by Pegasus Books and came out in April 2018. It is a history of Saudi Arabia and its oil industry.
- Recent Publications
Saudi, Inc.: The Arabian Kingdom’s Pursuit of Power and Profit, Pegasus Books, 2018.
“How to Save the Saudi Golden Goose,” The New York Times, May 8, 2018.
“Black gold or polluting war-fuel?” BBC World Histories, April/May issue.
“Saudi crown prince woos Amazon, Lockheed and others to build a tech hub,”CNBC, April 13, 2018.
“Saudi Arabia may be angling to diversify but oil is still king” The Hill, April 1, 2018
“Saudi Aramco IPO Would Be Huge,” Modern Trader Magazine, March 20, 2018
“Kirkuk’s Oil Chessboard” The Cairo Review. Winter 2018.
“In place of ideology, today’s Iranian protests simply demand change,” The Washington Post, January 4, 2018.
- Media Coverage
- https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/saudi-crown-prince-meets-with-trump-in-d-c~1351886, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2018-04-20/dr-ellen-wald-on-opec-and-2019-expectations
- Country Focus
- Saudi Arabia, Iran, United States
- Expertise by Geography
- North America, United States
- Expertise by Chronology
- 19th century, Modern, 20th century, 21st century
- Expertise by Topic
- Capitalism, Colonialism, Diplomacy, Economic History, Government, Military, Politics